Friday, March 22, 2013

Train – Initiate and Educate for Good Works

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it
Proverbs 22:6

Practice what you preach is one of my mantras. We encouraged our son to develop his mechanical skills. We invested in blocks and Legos in our house and since I can remember, Q has talked about becoming an architect. He has always known that his mom is an engineer and that he gets his math skills from me and his mechanical aptitude from his dad. He’s aware of science, technology, and manufacturing vocations. All of the introductions and nurturing came naturally for my male child.

Tay, Q, and Tif--around the age we should initiate career talks.
God did not bless us with daughters, but I have two nieces who are both beautiful and smart. I do not live in the same cities or states as them, but we see each other frequently and are relatively close. They know that Aunt Tanyua is an engineer, but I do not know what they know or think about my work. More importantly, I do not ever recall nurturing their math or mechanical skills or ever talking to them about science, or technology, or manufacturing. I call myself an advocate for getting more young women engaged in manufacturing studies, yet I have not planted the seed with my own flesh and blood, until now. It’s time to stop being a hypocrite and to begin to practice what I preach!

Writing this blog is a good way for me to understand what teenaged girls think about high tech, engineering and STEM related professions. When I was younger, I wanted to be an accountant (because I was good at math) until my high school math teacher, Ms. Wilson, suggested to me that I was an engineer. In tenth grade, she introduced me to the vocation that would become my life’s passion. So today, I interviewed my nieces and introduced them to the idea of future careers in manufacturing or technology.

Name: Taylor
Grade: 10th
School: Southfield Bradford Academy
Favorite Subject and Why: English, because I like writing and I had a teacher, Mr. Kinniebrew, who made it fun.
Current College Thoughts and Why: University of Michigan to major in Journalism
What do you want to be when you grow up: Journalist (TV, newspapers, magazines, blogs, all kinds)
What do you know about manufacturing: It’s the mass production of goods starting from raw material. Everything is manufactured, like cars. (She obviously did some research before the call!)

My younger niece, Tiffany, is an eighth grader at Stuttgart Jr. High. She was shy about sharing her thoughts on college and careers. Both confirmed that I have NEVER initiated a conversation with them about engineering or manufacturing or my work, nor encouraged them to develop their mechanical skills.  When you know better, you do better (Maya Angelou).

I have some work to do in piquing their interest in potential careers in manufacturing or technology (or at least explaining how degrees in journalism, marketing, etc. can be applied to a career supporting the industry). It’s not too late. In 2011, the National Alliance for Partnerships in Equity hosted a conference focused on expanding options for women and girls in STEM.  Five strategies suggested to support girls’ success in STEM careers (or to increase awareness of the options) are:

    • Know your own biases (challenge our girls to develop math and mechanical skills)
    • Exposure early and often (start talking to them as young as possible)
    • Engage parents
    • Pay attention to the little things (a reminder that girls like blocks and Legos too)
    • Use role models (introduce your nieces/cousins to women in non-traditional careers)
In the meantime, I know that discussions of careers and college will become a part of my purposed conversation with my nieces and other young women that I encounter. If we want these future leaders to seek their full career potential, we have to train and educate them early and consistently.

To learn more about efforts to advance careers in STEM, visit www.stemequitypipeline.org

 

No comments:

Post a Comment