Wednesday, March 20, 2013

An Appointed Season

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens…
What do workers gain for their toil? (Ecclesiastes 3:1-9)

We took our first vacation in years. We often go on trips, and like most 21st century families, we rarely get completely away. Most of the time, my husband and I are both guilty of answering voicemail or responding to email. So last week, we boarded the Love Boat, disconnected from technology, and entered into some new seasons for our family.

A time to love...James and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary last fall. Through the years, we have spent so much time earning a living that we often missed enjoying our life. On Day 2, we started reading Gary Chapman's The Five Love Languages and individually conceded that although we have a good marriage, neither of our love tanks is filled completely all the time. On Day 3, J finished the book and the profiles before I did. We both speak bilingual love languages. We share a need for words of encouragement and compliments from the people we love and the people who love us. We entered a new season committed to keeping each other's love tank filled with words of affirmation.
 

A time to let go...Q is growing up so fast. He has two overprotective and overinvolved parents. This was his first vacation where we did not try to dictate his every move. We signed him up for the teen activities and had to trust that we raised a responsible kid. We realized that we have a different child who dances, talks, and engages the least likely audiences when he's in his zone. By Day 4, James and I noticed that we were both exhausted by 10 pm, but one of us had to stay awake until Q safely returned to our cabin, usually just before midnight. Dr. Chapman briefly introduced  The Five Love Languages of Teenagers. We entered into a new season committed to rewarding Q with advanced freedoms in return for advanced familial responsibilities.

A time to live...We spent the remainder of the trip vacationing, visiting new sites, trying new foods, enjoying our life. After seven days away, we had barely exited the port before I was checking voicemail and email. When I finally connected and checked messages, among the first things I read were of the death of a dear friend’s grandchild and the death of a classmate’s younger sister. The euphoria of the vacation subsided. On the drive home, I thought about me relative to the ocean, or that work did not stop simply because I was away. I noticed that while we were gone, God’s appointed season transpired: the flowers bloomed without any input from me. I thought about those two lives lost and their families, who I’m sure, were not focused on work, but in their way, on how to fill the love tanks of the people most important to them. Jesus taught that the person who loves becomes filled with joy for life. At that moment, I stopped toiling over my natural work and shifted to my spiritual work, and I entered into a new season committed to learning to purposely love living. As I write this, my love tank is completely filled.

To learn more about understanding your family’s love language, visit http://www.5lovelanguages.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment