Friday, March 8, 2013

How Will You Measure Your Works?

What must we do to do the works God requires?
(John 6:28)

It’s been almost three years since I left my corporate job in pursuit of my purposed work. Rarely a week goes by without a LinkedIn request to join a former colleague’s network or an inquiring email to see how things are progressing. Today, I was honored to receive a call from one of only a handful of female executive peers (she has a PhD in Material Science) who wanted to talk to me about my experience as an entrepreneur. She informed me that my exit email (of which I had forgotten) had an impact on her.

I honestly don’t remember my parting words, so when I found an archived copy of the 2010 email, I smiled at what I had written: I wish you and the team all the best. As leaders, I challenge you to consider your personal measure of success. To guide you in the thought process, I am attaching a recent article published from Clayton Christensen, known for his research on disruptive technology and well as management practices. Today, that article in its entirety is no longer available (without purchase), but here’s a link to the Executive Summary: http://hbr.org/2010/07/how-will-you-measure-your-life/ar/1

Christensen’s theory is that your best business thinking should not be reserved for your career, but should be applied to your personal goals. He is an openly religious leader who uses his own faith-based experiences to get his students to think introspectively about their purpose by asking: First, how can I be sure that I’ll be happy in my career? Second, how can I be sure that my relationships with my spouse and my family become an enduring source of happiness? Third, how can I be sure I’ll stay out of jail? (To appreciate the third question, you have to read the article.)

I have used a bit of Christensen’s roadmap in determining how I measure the success of my works. A few of his guiding steps that resonate with me include:
1.      Creating a strategy for your life.
2.      Allocating your resources.
3.      Remembering the importance of humility.
4.      Choosing the right yardstick.
As I continue this journey of faith, I know that progress is not about my natural abilities. My personal measures of success are no longer tied to the title on the organization chart or the income bracket. My time and resources are no longer prioritized by corporate or community politics. Today, I measure happiness and success relative to my husband and son. Three years ago, these were not my goals and objectives. However, when I look at how far we’ve come, or how many people are encouraged by the testimony of our works, I know we are on our way to doing the work we are purposed to do.

No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress,
You are still ahead of everyone who isn’t trying-Unknown.

Note: I encourage you to read Christensen’s 2012 New York Times Best Seller book How Will You Measure Your Life that was written as a result of the above mentioned article. To learn more, visit
 http://www.measureyourlife.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment