Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Walking in Good Works

Whether you turn left or right,
you will hear a voice saying
this is the way, walk in it
(Isaiah 30:21)

Kenny Rogers is famous for singing: You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run. Have you ever been in a situation (work, church, or community service) where the mission of the organization no longer aligned with your personal beliefs? What do you do? Do you stay, because it’s comfortable? Or do you walk away, because the experience no longer has purpose in your destiny?

I have come to a place in my spiritual journey where I have to question the value of some relationships. As a self-proclaimed math geek, I like order of operations and try to apply the same principle to life: The people on your path to destiny should add and multiply to your efforts of good works, not subtract and divide. Some people have power, that in the natural, may appear to have the ability to help you to reach your destination quicker, but I am reminded that we should not put our trust in man. By faith, I am listening for the still small voice for guidance on the walking the right way.

In the natural, I think about all of the time and energy I have invested. Or I wonder what others will say about me. Or in the case of a business deal, I am fiscally aware of how much walking away will cost me. By divine intervention, I am reminded of the story of the king who hired troops from a foreign land to fight his battle, but was commanded not to use the army whose services he had already paid a price. The king’s obedience to the spirit was rewarded by victory. Simply put, obedience is better than sacrifice.

This is the way, walk in it. Grace and favor will guide you through various right and left turns that eventually lead to your destiny. When you have doubts about a relationship or a situation, let your conscience be your guide. Stick to what you feel from the spirit. This is not the time to start navigating by someone else's maps or expectations -- you could get lost.

Walking by faith means learning to trust in God, in spite of how it looks to others. Everyone has his or her own spiritual journey, so no one else can truly understand what you are experiencing. Sometimes people and situations shift and you will know when to hold ‘em or when to walk away. Instead of making an emotional decision, try listening for that spiritual voice saying this is the way, walk in it. How do you decide who is adding and multiplying your efforts toward your purposed work? Feel free to comment, or, send me an email at latanyua.robinson@gmail.com. If you like this post and want to catch up on some of my previous discussions, please visit the full Purposed Work blog at http://ltr-latrobe-mfg.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment