Friday, May 31, 2013

Remembering Your Good Works

Though your beginning was small,
your latter will be greater…
(Job 8:7)

Our college advisor used to remind my sorority sisters to “remember from whence you came.” I gave Dr. Clark credit for this nugget of wisdom until I read a James Baldwin inspirational quote: Know from whence you came. If you know whence you came, there are absolutely no limitations to where you can go!

Bishop Jakes has a sermon about saving the scraps. The story is taken from the miracle of feeding 5000 and collecting the twelve scrap baskets of leftover bread and fish (Mark 6:42-52). The morale of the sermon is that the scraps are not to be eaten on the boat, but to remind you that when you are in the middle of a storm, of what your God can do, as evidenced by the previous miracles. It took me a moment to understand this message, or to slow down to remember some previous times He made a way for me go and grow. Every step in life has a purpose and requires you to go through The Process.

I have been in business for myself for three years now. The other day, I saw an old check stub from my days in corporate America. I had a momentary thought that maybe it would be easier to just go back to working for someone else. However, I remembered the leftover scraps of imbalance in my purpose of being a good wife and mom and in fulfilling my purposed work. Then I remembered how far we have come in three years. Yes, we are small today, but because of God’s grace, we have made remarkable progress and have accomplished more others gave us credit for being able to achieve. I stand on the promise that eye has not seen, nor ear heard, what God has prepared for them that love Him. By remembering from whence I came, I have the confidence to wait patiently and go through The Process.

I have a box that I call my treasure chest where I keep pictures and small mementos of my life’s journey. All of the memories are not happy, but they are keepsakes that remind me that even with life’s obstacles, I'M STILL HERE, so I am victorious. Someone once asked me why I hold on to some thoughts and trinkets from the past and the answer is simple: when I get to a place in my present when life feels heavy, I can go to my treasure chest and pull out a past reminder of something that I thought was the best, or even the worst, and remember from whence I came and know that my latter will be greater on my journey to good works.

I have a treasure chest of remarkable gems that I go to when I need inspiration for the work I am purposed to do. What do you use to remember how far you have come on your journey toward fulfilling your purposed work? Feel free to comment, or, send me an email at latanyua.robinson@gmail.com. If you like this post and want to catch up on some of my previous discussions, please visit the full Purposed Work blog at http://ltr-latrobe-mfg.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment