Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Vision of Good Works

Where there is no vision, the people perish:
(Proverbs 29:18)

 It is spring time. In the business community, it is also a good season for strategic planning. Strategic planning is evaluating the current business plan and developing long range goals for future business expansion. In other words, it is defining the business direction and making decisions on how resources will be allocated to successfully accomplish the strategy.

I started my small business based on a strategic plan. Like many corporate-minded people, I based the plan and allocation of resources on past experiences in order to project initial expectations. As I started looking over the portfolio and the initial business plan put forward in 2010, so much has changed. There are some areas that exceeded expectations...and then there are other areas where I question what I was even thinking… Nor could I fathom that in 2013 that we would still not have fully recovered from pre-2009 levels. All I can say is that as a result, I’m stronger, I’m wiser, I’m better, and most importantly, I’m still here. I made it through because as an entrepreneur, I was graced to change and evolve, based on customer expectations. And that's what business is, providing goods and services that customers need and are willing to pay. Going through this process also revealed that it is time to update our infrastructure, so that customers know what we offer by our website, telephone, marketing material, and messaging.

Through this process of operating a business and walking this journey of faith, I have learned the power of devine revelation of His word, His Spirit, and His Providences. My spiritual guide to strategic planning comes from Habakkuk 2:2-3:



>>> Write down the vision, make it plain on tablets,
>>> so that anyone who reads it will understand.
>>> The vision is for a future (appointed) time.
>>> There will be delays, but patiently wait.
>>> In time, the vision will be fulfilled!

From a natural perspective, customer responses sometimes drive business strategies into new directions. Today’s customers want to know what they get by doing business with you, instead of your competition. What does your company, or brand, promise? After completing my new strategic plan, I was so excited that I immediately contacted my marketing guy and requested that he begin thinking about the creative  pieces needed to communicate the evolution. I am standing on the promises that the vision for Latrobe will be fulfilled!
Strategic planning is not just for businesses. The same processes can be applied in your community and in your family. What long term goals to you want to accomplish and impart change? Do you need a process or provoking thoughts to get you started? Consider this illustration of The Cascade of Strategic Choices presented by the Monitor Institute.



If this process is beneficial, please share your story on how you used it to develop your vision of good works by strategic planning. If you like these blog posts, please share and invite others to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment