Saturday, September 21, 2013

Due Season of Good Works


And let us not grow weary of doing good works,
for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
(Galatians 6:9)

I can always tell when it is harvest season in Stuttgart. The whole town is busy with work. When I talk to anyone from home, somewhere in the conversation is a proclamation that Producers or one of the other mills is hiring. Though sometimes seasonal, there are employment opportunities for any one desiring to work.

I had two good aha moments of due season yesterday—first, when one of my cousins text me a picture of herself, clad in her Riceland uniform (so Vidia, if you read this, you share responsibility for bringing me out of my funk). Secondly, I was sitting in the airport, killing time between flights, when I saw a random picture of my late father-in-law in my Facebook newsfeed, reminding me that if I am still here, He has plans / work for me to do. I have been in a mood lately, tired and frustrated that work activities are not moving as fast or in the direction that I would like.  And that is when it hit me: do not grow weary of doing good works, for in due season, you will reap, if you do not give up. Keep pushing and stay in the race.

Everything happens in due season. I am in a pruning season currently. I do not profess to be a farmer, but spiritually I understand the process: He is cutting off every branch in me that bears no fruit. Meanwhile every branch that does bear fruit, He is pruning so that each one will be even more fruitful (John 15:2). This is an uncomfortable season, but it is necessary for years of continual blossom. I am having some natural experiences that I never would have imagined in my life. However, through faith and grace, I trust the process for gaining peace, wisdom, and understanding. I recognize that I am frustrated because things are not working according to my plans and where I think I should be at this point on this journey. However, I realize that God is breaking down my personal strongholds and perfecting me to do His work and to receive His glory.

Just as Stuttgart experiences every year, in due season, the harvest will come and the crop will be plentiful. It is natural to get tired, but the key is keep working and running. The race is not given to the swift, but to the one who endures. What do you do to keep from growing weary while waiting on your good works to bear fruit? Feel free to comment, or, send me an email at latanyua.robinson@gmail.com. If you like this post and want to catch up on some of my previous discussions, please visit the full Purposed Work blog at http://ltr-latrobe-mfg.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment